The City of Johnston is pleased to announce a new scientific survey that shows our community rated at or above the national average in 41 of 43 areas assessed. This is a slight increase from the 2018 community survey.
"As we plan for the upcoming fiscal year, this certainly provides a baseline for priorities for our city leaders," said Jim Sanders City Administrator. "We thank residents for completing the survey because it allows us to prioritize based upon your feedback. We want our community to be proud of where they live and have a voice when it comes to projects within their City. The results suggest that we should focus on a few main areas: traffic flow, quality of recreation programs and facilities, and maintenance of sidewalks and City streets. City staff and leaders will certainly take a closer look at the overall priorities as we begin to refine our fiscal year 2022 budget.”
Throughout November and early December 2020, we asked residents to provide feedback on various areas within their local government, including police, fire, parks, library, public works, communications, and community development. We also asked several COVID-19 related questions to better understand how the pandemic affected – and continues to affect – our residents. We are proud to report that our city departments consistently rank among the best in the country.
The areas in which Johnston rated notably higher than the national average are listed below:
- The overall quality of City services (38.2 percent above the national average)
- Quality of customer service from City employees (35.6 percent above the national average)
- Cleanliness of City streets (29.4 percent above the national average)
- Efforts to proactively detect/deter crime (29.4 percent above the national average)
- The overall feeling of safety in the City (27.9 percent above the national average)
- Snow removal on City streets (25.8 percent above the national average)
- The overall quality of local police protection (23.9 percent above the national average)
- Maintenance of walking and biking trails (23.6 percent above the national average)
- Value received from City tax dollars and fees (22.4 percent above the national average)
Of the 408 residents surveyed, 87 percent indicated they were very satisfied with our community's overall quality of life. Ninety-four percent indicated they were satisfied with the overall feeling of safety, which is 27 percent higher than the national average in city quality-of-life rankings.
We invite you to visit cityofjohnston.com/2020survey to view the full 2020 survey results. The random sample of 408 households has a 95 percent level of confidence with a precision of at least +/‐ 4.8 percent.
We appreciate everyone who took the time to fill out and return the survey. Your feedback is valuable as we make decisions that affect the City.