To ensure the safety and well-being of our residents and employees, the City of Johnston offices, including Public Works, City Hall, and Crown Point Community Center will be closed to the public through Friday, Jan. 29. City leaders will reevaluate prior to opening. The Johnston Public Library will remain closed through Sunday, Jan. 17. Prior to this date, reopening for browsing and computer use by appointment will be reevaluated. The library continues to offer curbside holds and printing pick-up. Notary services are available by appointment.
While some facilities are closed to walk-in traffic, city services will continue to be provided by departments with customer service needs being either handled online, via email or by phone. For more information about the contact information for each department, visit www.cityofjohnston.com/COVID19.
We appreciate your patience as we navigate through these uncertain times.
Please note the following adjustments to help us continue to serve you.
City Contact Information
Please visit our website at www.cityofjohnston.com/directory.aspx for department contact information and online services. If you are unable to find what you need on the website, you may email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-278-2344 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday.
- For urgent Public Works related issues, including water, sewer, storm drain, or streets, please call 515-278-0822 or email@example.com.
- Water meter replacements or repairs will be delayed until further notice. However, if it is an emergency, please call 515-278-0822.
Utility Billing Payments
- Utility bill payments may be deposited in the drop box just outside of City Hall. While we will accept cash payments, we will not be able to give change due to the closure. Any amount paid above the total bill will be applied against the account. As a resident, you can also pay your bill online, mail a check, pay-by-phone by calling 833-259-4019 or signing up for automatic withdrawals. Visit www.cityofjohnston.com/213/Utility-Payment-Options-and-Billing for utility payment options.
- The Building Department accepts all building permits, trade permits, rental housing registrations, etc. to be submitted electronically. Permit forms are available at www.cityofjohnston.com/105/Permits and can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Building inspections are continuing with inspectors practicing social distancing and wearing masks. In addition, all contractors on-site at the time of the inspection must be wearing a mask. Building inspections can be scheduled by calling 515-727-7778.
- The Building Department has continued the temporary suspension of conducting routine rental housing inspections but will continue to register/renew rental housing registrations. More information on the Rental Housing Inspection program can be found at www.cityofjohnston.com/528/Rental-Inspections.
The Johnston Public Safety Building (includes Johnston Police Department and Johnston-Grimes Metropolitan Fire Department) remain open, but this is subject to change on short notice if circumstances dictate. For non-emergency calls, please dial 515-278-2345. Call 9-1-1 only for life-or-death emergencies or crimes in progress. On certain calls, first responders may be wearing additional protective gear to limit exposure.
- Police: There is a temporary suspension of car seat installation, fingerprinting and background checks.
- Fire: Temporary suspension of station tours, public speaking engagements, ride-a-longs, educational programming events and checking smoke and carbon monoxide alarms on medical runs.
Johnston Public Library
Patrons of the Johnston Public Library are encouraged to access online magazines and books to choose from at www.johnstonlibrary.com.
- With Covid-19 cases around the state and the Des Moines metro higher than ever, we've decided to close the library building for the safety of our visitors and staff.
- Curbside Holds and Printing Pick-up: Pickup library materials curbside by appointment. Click here to learn more about this service.
Johnston Parks & Recreation
The Johnston Parks & Recreation Department, located at Crown Point Community Center is closed, but questions will be answered by calling 515-727-8091 or emailing email@example.com. Residents are encouraged to be diligent and ensure your children are healthy before venturing out to play on city playground equipment. Simpson Barn and Crown Point Community Center are open for rentals only.
We appreciate the efforts of everyone in the community while we continue to work through this situation together and practice social distancing, frequent hand-washing, sanitizing, and staying informed to help protect the vulnerable. We all have COVID-19 fatigue, but together we can and will get through this.
Visit www.cityofjohnston.com/COVID19 for additional information regarding changes to City business during the COVID-19 pandemic.