Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the seventh annual Kites on the Green event has been canceled, but residents are encouraged to take part virtually. Show us your creativity and color a kite and hang it in their window, draw a kite image on their driveway with sidewalk chalk, fly a kite at their home with family, or drive-by one of the four locations to see the giant show kites.
We still encourage families to enjoy the event virtually and watch those colors fill the Johnston sky. If residents or visitors drive-by to see the giant show kites, we would ask that you please not gather and stay in your vehicle.
Below are ways in which you can participate in the virtual Kite festival:
- Monday, Color a photo and hang in your window: Click here (PDF) to download the coloring sheets. The images available are shown below.
- Tuesday, Stained glass kite made out of tissue paper: Click here (PDF) to download the directions.
- Wednesday, Create a Kite with Legos on a Lego board. Click here (PDF) to download the directions.
- Thursday, Sidewalk chalk a kite: Color a kite photo with sidewalk chalk in your driveway.
- Friday, Fly a kite at your home or open green space and share it with us on social media using #KitesontheGreen2020, or you can also send them to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will create a video of all the photos shared with us this year.
- Saturday, Show kite drive-by hours:
- 10:00-11:00 AM – Summit Middle School, 9500 Windsor Parkway
- 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM – NorthPoint Church, 9901 NW 62nd Avenue
- 1:30-2:30 PM – Terra Park, 6400 Pioneer Parkway
- 3:00-4:00 PM – Johnston Commons, 6700 Merle Hay Road