In an effort to implement social distancing practices recommended to slow the spread of COVID-19, the City of Johnston offices, including Public Works, City Hall, and Crown Point Community Center, will be closed to the public effective Wednesday, March 18 thru Sunday, April 12. The Johnston Public Library remains open for hold pick-up from 9:00 a.m. through 8:00 p.m. through Wednesday, March 18. The library will officially close on Thursday, March 19 through Sunday, April 12. While these facilities are closed to walk-in traffic, City services will continue to be provided by City departments with customer service needs being either handled online, via email or by phone.
Please note the following adjustments to help us continue to serve you.
- Please visit our website at www.cityofjohnston.com/directory.aspx for department contact information and online services. If you are unable to find what you need on the website, you may email email@example.com or call 515-278-2344 from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday.
- For urgent Public Works related issues, including water, sewer, storm drain, or streets, please call 515-278-0822 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Utility bill payments may be deposited in the drop box just inside the main doors of City Hall. While we will accept cash payments, we will not be able to give change due to the closure. Any amount paid above the total bill will be applied against the account. As a resident, you can also pay your bill online, mail a check, pay-by-phone by calling 833-259-4019 or signing up for automatic withdrawals. Visit www.cityofjohnston.com/213/Utility-Payment-Options-and-Billing for utility payment options.
- The Building Department will now accept all building permits, trade permits, rental housing registrations, etc. to be submitted electronically. Permit forms are available at www.cityofjohnston.com/105/Permits and can be emailed to email@example.com. Building inspections are continuing as normal and can be scheduled by calling 515-727-7778.
- The Building Department has temporarily suspended conducting routine rental housing inspections but will continue to register/renew rental housing registrations. More information on the Rental Housing Inspection program can be found at www.cityofjohnston.com/528/Rental-Inspections.
- Contact the Johnston Police Department and Johnston-Grimes Metropolitan Fire Department for non-emergency calls at 515-278-2345. Call 9-1-1 only for life-or-death emergencies or crimes in progress. On certain calls, first responders may be wearing additional protective gear to limit exposure.
- Patrons of the Johnston Public Library are encouraged to access online magazines and books to choose from at www.johnstonlibrary.com. The library also has Lynda.com, which provides access to thousands of in-depth video tutorials – basic to advanced – for learning business, software, technology and creative skills. Learn more by visiting, www.johnstonlibrary.com/research/lynda/.
- The Johnston Parks & Recreation Department, located at Crown Point Community Center is closed, but questions will be answered by calling 515-727-8091 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Residents are encouraged to be diligent and ensure your children are healthy before venturing out to play on city playground equipment. The equipment will be cleaned every Monday and Friday by Parks staff.
We appreciate the efforts of everyone in the community while we work through this situation together and practice social distancing, frequent hand-washing, sanitizing, and staying informed to help protect the vulnerable and keep our health care facilities from being overwhelmed from the rapid spread of COVID-19. We encourage you to ensure your family has adequate supplies and food but don’t over purchase items that others may need. Let’s continue looking out for one another in our community.
Visit www.cityofjohnston.com/COVID19 for additional information regarding changes to City business during the CIVID-19 pandemic.