The City of Johnston, Polk County and the State of Iowa are monitoring the situation with COVID-19 (Coronavirus). City staff continues to work closely with local partners to prepare and respond as necessary. We encourage community members to help protect yourself and those around you by practicing social distancing and healthy habits.
Johnston Police, Fire, and all other essential City of Johnston services remain fully operational. All emergency crews are fully staffed and prepared to respond as necessary and using the Center for Disease Control (CDC) recommended Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
Should the Iowa Department of Public Health or the Polk County Health Department suggest “social distancing” for Polk County residents, departments including the Johnston Public Library and Senior activities at Crown Point Community Center will be assessed. Updates regarding these facilities will be posted on our City website and social media pages.
As always, it is import to practice healthy habits
- Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds, or as long as it takes you to sing Happy Birthday or the ABCs twice
- When unable to wash your hands, use an alcohol-based sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth
- Avoid contact with people who are sick
- Stay home while you are sick and avoid close contact with others
- Cover your mouth/nose with a tissue or sleeve when coughing or sneezing
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
- Stay home and do not go out in public when you are sick
- Avoid medical settings unless necessary
- Give six-feet of space from others
- Avoid shaking someone’s hand
- Practice excellent personal hygiene habits
- Work in ways that minimize close contact with people
- Encourage telecommuting
The Iowa Department of Public Health is updating the number of Iowans being monitored and tested for COVID-19 each day, Monday through Friday. Visit their website for COVID-19 numbers: https://idph.iowa.gov/Emerging-Health-Issues/Novel-Coronavirus.
For updated information and resources, please visit the links below.