April is Earth Month, and the City of Johnston and Metro Waste Authority is challenging you to bring a fun reusable bag to a sea full of plastic!
Residents in participating communities are encouraged to bring it and bag it when heading to the grocery store. You’ve heard us discourage the use of plastic bags again and again, but this year we’re highlighting the real winner; reusable bags!
Why you should make the switch:
- Reusable bags hold more weight than plastic, meaning more snacks in one bag.
- All those plastic bags you have stashed away somewhere are taking up valuable storage space.
- You can make a fashion statement with all the fun prints and designs reusable bags come in. Plastic is an eyesore!
- Some grocery stores offer savings for customers who bring their bags vs. using plastic.
- Reusable bags are often easy to keep clean. Most can go right in the washing machine!
We’ll even get you started on this new endeavor. For the month of April, bring in your collection of plastic bags and swap them out for a new reusable one (while supplies last). As a bonus, the city that collects the most plastic bags per capita will win a new, all-weather park bench made from recycled plastic.
This next month as you get ready to head to the grocery store, remember to bring it so you can bag it! And you can begin to collect them now. Fill it with goodies, then wear those reusable bags with pride!