The City of Johnston is pleased to announce a new scientific survey that shows our community rated at or above the national average in 39 of 42 areas that were assessed.
“City leaders are evaluating all of the feedback within the survey to improve Johnston as they prioritize projects and improvements for our community,” said Jim Sanders City Administrator. “We thank residents for completing the survey because it allows us to make improvements where needed to ensure they have the quality of life and feel safe within the community they live. From the results, we should focus on three specific areas of improvement including traffic flow, quality of City streets, and parks and recreation programs and facilities. As we refine our FY20 budget, these improvements will certainly be carefully taken into account as we move our community forward.”
Throughout November and early December 2018, we asked residents to provide feedback on a variety of areas within city government, including police, fire, parks, library, public works, communication, and community development. We are proud to report that our city departments consistently rank among the best in the country.
The areas in which Johnston rated notably higher than the national average are listed below:
- Overall quality of City services (38% above the national average)
- Quality of customer service from City employees (33% above the national average)
- Efforts to proactively detect/deter crime (33% above the national average)
- Mowing/trimming on City streets/public areas (30% above the national average)
- Overall quality of City streets system (28% above the national average)
- Overall cleanliness of City streets (27% above the national average)
- The overall feeling of safety in City (27% above the national average)
- Maintenance of City buildings (26% above the national average)
- Maintenance of City streets (26% above the national average)
- The effectiveness of City communication with the public (25% above the national average)
- Overall quality of local police protection (25% above the national average)
- Snow removal on City streets (25% above the national average)
- Availability of information on City programs/services (20% above the national average)
Of the 706 residents surveyed, 87 percent indicated they were very satisfied with the overall quality of life in our community. Ninety-four percent indicated they were satisfied with the overall feeling of safety, which is 27 percent higher than the national average in city quality-of-life rankings.
We invite you to visit cityofjohnston.com/survey to view the full 2018 survey results. A total of 706 households completed the survey. The results have a 95% level of confidence with a precision of at least +/‐ 3.7%. We appreciate everyone who took the time to fill out and return the survey. Your feedback is valuable as we make decisions that affect the city.