The City of Johnston’s initiated Zoning and Subdivision Code update is near completion and ready for public input. The City adopted Johnston’s zoning ordinance in 1982, and it has never been comprehensively updated until now.
“We have been busy the past 18 months to ensure the Zoning and Subdivision Code updates are modernized to better fit with how our community desires to grow as envisioned in our Thrive 2040 Comprehensive Plan,” said Community Development Director David Wilwerding. “The input from Council, Planning and Zoning Commission, City Staff and Tree Board during this update process was critical to ensuring the code carries out the visions for future generations.”
The City has released a full draft code for public review/comment, along with an informational website that provides an executive summary of the proposed changes organized by audiences, including; homeowners, business owners and developers. The draft code has been set up for residents to easily review and comment directly on the document. At the same time, the informational website covers the highlights of some of the most significant proposed changes. The available pages are for review at www.cityofjohnston.com/ZoningUpdate. The public comment period will be open now through January 29, 2023.
Additional opportunities available for input include:
- Drop-In Meeting with City Staff – No appointment required. Staff is available 8:30 – 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 – 4:00 p.m. during the following weeks:
- December 12 –16, 2022
- January 9 – 13, 2023
- Public Open House
- Tuesday, January 10, 2023, from 5:30 – 7:00 p.m.
- Planning and Zoning Commission Public Hearing to consider adoption of the new Zoning and Subdivision Regulations
- Monday, February 13, 2023, at 7:00 p.m.
- City Council Public Hearing to consider adoption of the new Zoning and Subdivision Regulations
- Monday, March 6, 2023, at 7:00 p.m.
Residents and businesses are encouraged to schedule an appointment to meet with the community development staff at any time should they have questions regarding the zoning and subdivision updates. Please email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or call (515) 727-7778.