The heavy rain the northern parts of Iowa received earlier this week is making its way to Johnston, which will cause trails to flood.
The following trails are now closed as water levels are expected to rise:
- Johnston Drive through the Merle Hay Road bridge at I-80/35, near Acura and Hy-Vee Fast and Fresh
- Trail under NW 62nd Avenue
- Beaver Creek natural resource area near Terra Park
- Trail south of Crown Point Community Center
- Augustine Trail
- Water trail access points at NW 70th Avenue and Lew Clarkson Park
The Johnston Parks Department will assess water levels throughout the week and reopen once the debris is cleaned up.
The projected water levels for Beaver Creek can be found by visiting https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?gage=grmi4&wfo=dmx.