The City of Johnston provides water, sewer, stormwater, solid waste, and recycling services for residents and businesses.
Metro Waste Authority provides solid waste collection for all single and two-family homes in Johnston. Garbage bins are due curbside by 6 a.m. the day of pick up. Residents may contact the Utilities Clerk or (515) 727-7772 for questions about Solid Waste.
- Monday - Pick up for residents west of NW 86th Street
- Tuesday - Pick up for residents east of NW 86th Street
To Begin Service
- Contact the Utilities Clerk at Johnston City Hall, at (515) 727-7772.
- Register with Metro Waste Authority (MWA) for email updates. Residents can sign up to receive emails from MWA that contain helpful tips and pick-up delays due to weather or other situations.
Service & Billing
- Garbage collection is included on your monthly City of Johnston water bill. Click here to see current garbage rates (PDF).
- Holiday schedules can be found on the Metro Waste Authority website.
- To report a missed collection or cart maintenance, contact Metro Waste Authority at (515) 244-0021 or online.
Hazardous Waste, Electronics Disposals, & Other Landfill Services
To get rid of hazardous waste, such as lawn and garden chemicals, latex paint for $1 per gallon or $5 per five-gallon bucket, or other cleaners, Johnston residents have three options. Visit mwatoday.com/Johnston for more information.
- We’ve teamed up with Metro Waste Authority for the house-side pick-up of these items. Using this program ensures these items are disposed of in an environmentally-friendly manner. Please visit WhereItShouldGo.com/Johnston to learn more about utilizing this pickup service at your house.
- Residents may visit the northwest household hazardous waste drop-off site in Grimes, located at 4105 SE Beisser Drive. They are open Monday through Thursday by appointment. Please call (515) 244-0021 to make an appointment.
- Residents may also visit the metro hazardous waste facility located at 1105 Prairie Drive SW in Bondurant. They’re open Tuesday through Friday from 1 to 5 p.m. and on the first and third Saturdays of the month from 8 a.m. to noon. Please call (515) 244-0021 for more information.
Not sure what can be thrown away or recycled? Check Metro Waste's Recycling and Disposal Guide for helpful information.
- Bulky items and large waste will be collected on normal collection days. Include a $1 sticker for each bag, box, or item that does not fit in the collection bin.
- Contact Metro Waste Authority at (515) 244-0021, to arrange for pick up of appliances or other large items.
- Stickers for extra garbage, bulky waste, and appliances are available at these locations.
MidAmerican Appliance Recycling Program
A $50 rebate is paid for each qualified refrigerator or freezer, and a $25 rebate is paid for each qualified window air conditioner. Additional information is available or you may contact MidAmerican Energy at (800) 621-2757.