About Your Bill
Each month, Johnston residents receive a utility bill that contains billing for water, sewer, garbage, recycling, and a stormwater fee.
If a bill is unpaid on the 16th of the month, a delayed payment fee of $1.50 is added for residential customers, and the first reminder notice is sent to the resident. If the bill remains unpaid after the first notice, a disconnect notice is sent around the 23rd of the month, reminding the resident to pay their bill.
If a bill remains unpaid after these notices, a service termination warning is delivered to the premises stating the water will be shut off within 48-hours. The customer is also charged a $35 fee for this notice.
As a reminder, residents will also receive an automated notification phone call from (515) 727-7772, 48-hours before termination. Upon this termination warning, if the bill remains unpaid, the water is shut off (around the 3rd of the month). An additional $35 fee is added to shut off the water, and an additional $35 is added to turn the water back on.
Each month, the water meter is automatically read by a Star Hexagram remote device, which produces a radio signal to transmit the meter reading recording your water usage.
Meters are read between the 18th-21st day of the month, which may vary depending on when the weekend occurs.
When Payments are Due:
Most customers receive their utility services bill including water, sewer, stormwater, garbage and recycling on the first day of the month.
Payment is due on or before the 15th day of the month in which you receive the bill. If the 15th day of the month falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the due date is the following Monday.
Payments received after the 15th day of the month, are considered late and a delayed payment fee will be applied.
- Automatic Withdrawal: Fill out the form (PDF) to initiate debit entries to your checking account. For questions, please call City Hall at (515) 278-2344.
- Drop-box: Available 24/7, outside the east door of Johnston City Hall
- In-person: At Johnston City Hall, Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Pay station: Payment can be made at the Johnston Hy-Vee grocery store. Please do not drop off a late payment or shut-off payment.
- Online: Customers have two online payment options.
- Account Management: Create an online utility billing account through Account Management allowing you to make payments, view transaction history, submit service requests, and more.
- QuickPay: Choose the new Quick Pay tool and pay online without creating an online account. Customers will, however, need to have their account number to pay with Quick Pay.
- Phone Payment: Pay by calling toll-free at (833) 259-4019
- eBill: Receive your bill electronically. To enroll, fill out an eBill application (PDF) and return the completed form to City Hall or email it to Marci Santi. Enrolling in eBill will cancel your paper bill and you will only receive the eBill. If your application is received at least one week prior to your next billing date, your bill will be emailed.
- Mailed: Receive your bill by the first of the month via the United States Postal Service