The Johnston City Council approved a new snow ordinance aimed at simplifying parking regulations during snow and/or ice removal operations. The changes will improve efficiency and safety for street crews and first responders. The City of Johnston may declare a snow ordinance based on several factors including snow, sleet, freezing rain and blowing snow.
- No parking on a city street, alley or city-owned off-street parking once the snow emergency has been declared.
- A snow emergency parking ban shall continue from its proclamation through 5:00 p.m. the following day. The parking ban may be extended using the same process to enact the original snow emergency if conditions require additional time to clear the snow and/or ice.
- Vehicles parked on the street during a snow emergency will be ticketed $25 and may be towed.
- When a snow emergency is put into effect, the declaration will be communicated, along with the start and stop times for the parking restrictions:
- In a red bar at the top of the city website
- Notification text and email alerts. Sign up by visiting “Notify Me."
- Via the City of Johnston Facebook and Twitter pages
- Via local news and radio channels