Here in Johnston, we wish to keep our residents and businesses informed on the happenings within our community. Below are ways you can sign up to receive email and/or text alerts. Also, be sure you have downloaded our City of Johnston app from Google Play or the Apple App store. It provides an easy and informative way to stay updated on the news.
Johnston Alerts – www.cityofjohnston.com/JohnstonAlerts
The City of Johnston uses CivicReady to send emergency alerts and other notifications. Subscribers can register to receive emergency alerts via phone call, text message, and/or email. Non-emergency messages will be sent by text and/or email. If you wish to subscribe to emergency alerts by SMS text message only, text your zip code to 38276.
Examples of messages sent through CivicReady:
- A snow parking ban is in effect
- Missing persons
- Local threats
- Road closures and traffic alerts
- Utility service disruptions
- Other incidents that require rapid communication
Johnston Press Releases - www.cityofjohnston.com/list.aspx
The Johnston Communications Department sends out press releases to local media. Once the release is sent, they are also posted on the City of Johnston’s website. You can sign up to receive an email and/or text alert on the press releases. Visit www.cityofjohnston.com/list.aspx and look for the 'Johnston Press Releases' under “Notify me.”
Johnston Notifications – www.cityofjohnston.com/notifications
Stay up-to-date with general news and information from the City of Johnston by subscribing to 'Notify Me' email and/or text notifications.
By signing up, you can receive automatic notifications for:
- Calendar Events
- News Flash updates
- City of Johnston Job Postings
- Board, Council, and Commission Agendas
City Newsletter – www.cityofjohnston.com/Enewsletter
This newsletter provides information on upcoming events, activities, or project updates. The newsletter is sent out every Thursday and the first of each month. However, only the monthly newsletter is sent if the first of the month falls within the same week.
Polk County/Alert Iowa - www.smart911.com/smart911/ref/reg.action?pa=polkcountyia
These notifications are sent through Polk County. In the event of an emergency or severe weather, an alert will be sent to the phone number and/or email address provided by voice, text and/or email. This is a free service provided by Polk County and the State of Iowa; however, normal message fees may apply. To receive text messages to your cell phone, your cell phone must have text messaging capabilities.
Some examples of the types of incidents or events where the Polk County/Alert Iowa system may be effective in notifying Johnston residents to include the following:
- Environmental and Natural Disasters: Floods, Dangerous Water Conditions, Water Safety Alerts, Dam/Levee Breaks
- Search and Rescue: Missing Children, Missing Elderly, Missing Disabled, Evacuation Notices, Evacuation Routes
- Crime: Law Enforcement Activities, Prisoner Escape Warning, Neighborhood Crime Watches
- Man-Made Disasters: Terrorism Threats, Bomb Threats, Nuclear Hazards, Bio Terrorism Threats, Chemical Spills, Hazardous Material Emergencies, Gas Leaks, Hostage Situations
- Public Works: Drinking Water Contamination, Utility Outages, Street Closings, Public Notifications