If the spring has sprung from your old sofa, you’re in luck because Spring Cleanup is just around the corner! Visit www.cityofjohnston.com/675/Spring-Cleanup for more information about the Spring Cleanup event.
Spring Cleanup in your community is an opportunity to get rid of unwanted trash that won’t fit in your garbage cart or may require a large item sticker. Examples include a couch, desk, lamp, or chair.
When you’re considering setting an item out for Spring Cleanup, ask yourself:
- Can two people lift it?
- Is my pile smaller than the bed of a pick-up truck?
If the answers to these two questions are yes, then kick those items to the curb by 6 AM on your scheduled day. Following the guidelines will help maintain consistent garbage rates, keep everyone safe, and get your items removed timely.
So, what are the guidelines?
Here’s what NOT to place at your curb for Spring Cleanup:
- Appliances or TVs: Purchase large item sticker, follow directions on the sticker.
- Tires: Bring to 6400 NW Beaver Dr. Limit five tires per household.
- Thursday, Apr. 21: 8 a.m. until 8 p.m.
- Friday, Apr. 22: 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Saturday, Apr. 23: 8 a.m. to noon
- Hazardous Waste: Bring to Metro Hazardous Waste Drop-off, located at 1105 Prairie Drive SW, Bondurant. TVs, computers and paint: recycled for a fee
Only residents on city services are eligible to participate in Spring Cleanup. If you have questions about your neighborhood, call City Hall at (515) 278-2344.
The Johnston Spring Cleanup event is scheduled for Saturday, April 18th or 19th, on your normal collection day.