The Building Department issues permits necessary to enforce the building codes, city and state requirements, and provides guidance for your building projects.
A permit is necessary to engage in construction of or changes to any of the following:
- Accessory buildings or structures
- Commercial and residential buildings
- Excavation/grading or demolition
- Monument, building, or temporary signs
- Special events including an outdoor sales event, seasonal sales event or temporary site uses
- Plumbing, mechanical, or electrical work
This is not meant to be an “all inclusive” list as every project can be different in some aspects.
Questions regarding the need for a building permit can be directed to the Building Department.
As of July 1, 2017, the Johnston City Council passed ordinance amendments for the adoption of the 2015 International Codes, replacing the 2012 versions. This includes the Building, Residential, Plumbing, Mechanical, and Fuel Gas, as well as the National Electric Code 2011 editions.
Effective July 1, 2017, these codes will be used and enforced on all construction permits submitted and constructed thereafter in the city of Johnston. Additionally, please refer to the State of Iowa Energy Code for changes to return air ducting provisions and system sizing.
If you have questions on the above-described action, please contact the city staff by calling 515-727-7778.