The store was purchased July 1, 1959 from Jim Elwell. The building opened July 20 or August 1, 1959 on Merle Hay Road at NW 62nd. This would be the first Hy-Vee store located in a major metropolitan area. The store had 8,200 square feet. It was a 140-by-60-foot building, with a sales area of almost 6,000 square feet and a storage area of 2,248 square feet. It had a 51,000-square-foot parking lot. The store had about 20 employees and three checkouts.
On March 7, 1978 the store relocated fifty feet away from existing store, which was torn down for parking space. It has 15,500 square feet. The store added approximately 15 new employees. It had 6 checkouts and was open 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. daily.
They relocated again on December 12, 1984 to 5750 Merle Hay Road, south of its previous location, in the Village Square Shopping Center, with 22,000 square feet. It has a bakery and a 60-seat eating area in the deli.
They remodeled the store October 4, 2000. The project began in August 1999, increasing size to 50,572 square feet. The store adds a seafood department, Chinese Express, pharmacy with drive-up window and more checkout stands. It enlarges the video, floral, delicatessen and customer service areas. The city of Johnston adds new traffic signals at the south entrance to the store’s parking lot. Shortly after, the introduced online shopping.
They worked on the wine & spirits department, which was completed September 17, 2010.
They built a new Hy-Vee Gas/convenience store planned at 5902 Merle Hay Road, which opened April 8th, 2014.