This position performs a variety of routine support functions assisting police officers and the community. This position is certainly a key member of the Field Operations Division within the police department, providing a wide
range of uniformed services to the public and agency personnel.
Regular duties include:
- Offering motorist assistance, directing traffic at crash scenes
- Investigating animal control and parking complaints
- Assisting the public with non-emergent reporting and general assistance
- Engaging in community outreach and education initiatives
- Conducting proactive bicycle, trail, and park patrols
- Assisting officers and investigators at crime scenes and significant events
The Community Service Officer is a full-time civilian position within the police department. This role does not require police officer certification. Community Service Officers regularly engage in active listening, problem solving, community education and outreach, and perform preliminary investigative work in municipal regulatory issues.