On February 22nd, the Johnston City Council approved the site plan for the expansive Ignit Sports and Recreation complex on the west side of Merle Hay Road and the development agreement for Bombers Golf and Hotel on the east side of Merle Hay Road.
The Ignit facility includes a 208,000 sq. ft. indoor recreation complex with a competitive track, full-size indoor soccer field, eight multi-purpose courts, conference space, an outdoor plaza and a host of other amenities and outdoor fields, such as a cricket field. Over the past year, the Ignit master plan has expanded to include an entertainment district similar to McGregor Square in Denver. A plaza is expected to contain an 18,000 sq. ft. multi-tenant commercial building with a large outdoor viewing area for sports and other events. Its anticipated economic impact has adjacent property owners discussing concept plans for a coffee shop, restaurant and additional multi-story commercial building. The former Dragon Carwash east of Ignit is slated for demolition this spring, with a brewery or restaurant planned immediately south of Ignit.
- The facility expects to meet residents' sports and recreation needs to host regional and national events.
- Expected to attract 400,000+ annual visitors, including more than 100,000+ out of state visits.
- The facility is 200,000 sq. ft.
- Includes a large indoor track, full-size indoor soccer field, meeting spaces, fitness areas, multi-purpose courts and outdoor recreation space.
- Minimum assessed value of $19,000,000
- Ignit is locally owned and led by Chad and Brian Omeara, who have and plan to maintain their existing facility in Grimes.
- The city is developing an adjacent city park and constructing regional parking and stormwater basins to improve water quality and serve Green Meadows, ChildServe, Ignit and city infrastructure.
- Grading work began in 2021, with anticipated completion in May 2023.
- Roadway reconstruction will soon begin with Merle Hay Road and Johnston Drive intersection and a loop road to the west, which will serve Ignit.