Generally speaking, a sign permit is required for all signage within the City of Johnston. Signage is defined and regulated by Chapter 170 of the city code.
Sign permits shall be submitted to the Community Development Department with the following items for review:
- Sign Permit Application (PDF)
- Illustration of the proposed signage with dimensions
- Site plan for monument and temporary type signs showing the location of the sign with setback dimensions to the property lines
- Building elevation showing height and width of the building frontage, and location of proposed signage for building signs
- All building signs up to and including 30 square feet of sign area $65.00 plus $ .65 per sq. ft. of sign area proposed.
- All building signs with more than 30 square feet of sign area $65.00 plus $ .80 per sq. ft. of sign area proposed.
- All ground based signs (monument, project identification, etc.) $75.00 plus $ .40 per sq. ft. of sign area proposed.
- All temporary signs are $40.00
Temporary signs are intended to be displayed for a short period of time only. Temporary signs include but are not limited to:
- Real estate
- Garage or yard sales
- Political candidates
No temporary signage is allowed between the sidewalk and the curb; this is also referred to the City’s Right of Way. This placement is unlawful and these signs will be confiscated by city staff and disposed of regularly. Please help us keep our city looking great.
For more information or specific questions, contact , Building Inspector at 515-727-7779.